Mobile Government


Lisa C. Lambert
City Clerk

Mission Statement: The City Clerk's Office is committed to providing quality support and assistance to the City Council and the citizens of Mobile by striving for excellence in keeping and preserving the official public documents and records of the City of Mobile; recording the actions of the City Council, conducting and preserving the integrity of elections; providing administrative and support services to the Legislative body; and meeting other regulatory requirements established by law.

9th Floor Government Plaza - South Tower
PO Box 1827
Mobile, AL 36633-1827

Main Contact: 251-208-7411
Fax: 251-208-7576


The City Clerk's Office is the officially designated record keeping agency for the City and is responsible for all public documents both current and archival. The City Clerk's Office also prepares the City Council Meeting agenda; attends and records the proceedings of all Council meetings; maintains records of all rules, ordinances, and resolutions of the Council; acts as custodian of the City Seal; conducts all municipal elections; performs all legal advertising for the City; schedules, coordinates, and plans special events and functions for the Council; oversees operation of the mail room and courier service; and provides general administrative and clerical assistance to the Council.

TimeSavers - Online services, forms and applications

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When are the City Council meetings held?
    The City Council typically meets every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. in the Government Plaza Auditorium, 205 Government Street, Mobile, and is open to the public.

  • When will the agenda be ready?
    The agenda for the City Council meetings is available the Thursday before the Council meeting. Click here for more information

  • Are the City Council Meetings televised?
    The City Council Meetings are televised live on Comcast Cable 6 on Tuesday at 8:00 p.m. and on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m.

  • How can I find out what's on the agenda?
    The agenda is posted on the City of Mobile's website by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday. Click here to view agenda

  • Can I speak at a City Council Meeting?
    If you wish to address the City Council regarding an item that is on their agenda, you can sign up at the door of the Auditorium just prior to the meeting. If you wish to speak regarding a non-agenda item, you can contact the City Clerk?s Office at 251-208-7411 by 2:00 p.m. on Thursday to make a request or fill out the form "Addressing the City Council" and fax it to 251-208-7576. You are limited to five minutes of speaking time. Click here for form to address the City Council.

  • How can I get a copy of City Council resolutions/ordinances/minutes/ agreements/recorded documents?
    Call the City Clerk's Office at 251-208-7411 to request a copy of these documents. Electronic documents are free. Printed documents are $.25 per page.

  • How can I obtain an audio tape, CD or DVD of the City Council meeting?
    Call the City Clerk's Office at 251-208-7411 to request a copy. The cost is $5.00 each.

  • The City of Mobile is responsible for damage to my personal property. What can I do?
    You can file a claim for damages you or your property has incurred as a result of a vehicular accident caused by a City employee; mishap involving City property (falling tree limb, etc.); or an incident caused by City employees (lawnmower slinging rocks, etc.). A claim may be filed in person at the City Clerk's Office on the ninth floor of Government Plaza, South Tower, 205 Government Street, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., or you can mail or fax it to the City Clerk's Office. For further instructions and to obtain a claim form, click here.

  • Who do I contact about paying tickets, rescheduling court dates, fines, etc.?
    Contact the Mobile Municipal Court at 251-208-7055.

  • How can I serve on a City board?
    The City Council has over 40 boards. If you are interested in serving on one, fill out a Board Interest Form click here and indicate which boards you are interested in. If there are no vacancies in the boards that you are interested in, your application will be kept on file for one year. For information on board vacancies and a description of the board's role, click here.

  • I'm having a party with a band or sound system. Do I need a noise ordinance waiver?
    It is unlawful for any person to use amplification which exceeds 85 decibels during the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. or which exceeds 50 decibels from 10:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. If your event will have any type of sound system, it is recommended that you apply for a waiver of the City's Noise Ordinance click here. The City Council meets every Tuesday, and applications have to be received by 2:00 p.m. on Thursday in order to be placed on their next agenda.

  • When is the next city election?
    The next city election will be in August, 2013. Candidates may begin qualifying after the first Tuesday in July. Click here for election information.

  • How can I get a copy of a birth/death/marriage/divorce certificates?
    Contact the Mobile County Health Department at 251-690-8150.

  • How do I get a marriage license?
    Contact the Mobile County Probate Court at 251-574-6051.

  • How do I get a passport?
    Contact the U. S. Postal Service at 251-694-5973.

  • How do I apply to become a Notary Public?
    Contact Mobile County Probate Court at 251-574-6000.