Mobile Government

Real Estate/Asset Management: Architectural Engineering

5th Floor Government Plaza
PO Box 1827
Mobile, AL 36633

Fax: 251-208-5871

Main Contact: 251-208-7454

Contact: Brad Christensen -

The Architectural Engineering Department is responsible for the architectural, architectural engineering and project management for building construction, building renovation and/or addition, and facility maintenance for all City facilities to include parks. In addition, the professional and technical staff is responsible for:
* Facility management support services for existing facilities such as elevator maintenance, pest control, janitorial, etc.
* Public service requests for Mardi Gras, First Night and other special events
* The demolition of structures (condemned or otherwise)
* Preparation of executive reports
* Facility cost estimates for code upgrades of prospective purchases
* In-house design and contract management
* Professional engineering and architecture reports/advice to other departments
* Contract negotiations and claims settlements
* Development of Master Plans for various parks and facilities
All suggestions, whether from citizens, government departments or elected officials are considered in our effort to continuously facilitate an improvement in the publicís quality of life while meeting its changing needs.

TimeSavers - Online services, forms and applications

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How Can I Get on Your Bid List for Jobs?
    All consultant contracts are negotiated with qualified firms. All construction contracts are awarded in accordance with State Bid Laws. To be placed on the City's list, consultants need to send their firm's qualifications and/or brochures to AE. Contractors may respond to projects by providing bids.

  • Who is the City Architect?
    The City has no position titled "City Architect". The AE Department is headed by a Director that is either an Alabama Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA).

  • Who is in charge of a specific (AE) project?
    A Project Manager (PM) for each AE project is appointed by the Director. The PM is in overall charge of the project, although the Construction Manager (CM) is in charge of field operations. Both report directly to the Director.

  • Why is the city not responsible for the Water Board (regarding specific projects)?
    The Water Board is actually titled the "Mobile Area Water Service System" (MAWSS) and is not an entity of the City of Mobile.