205 Gov't St., S. Tower Rm. 243
PO Box 3065
Mobile, AL 36652-3065
Main Contact: 251-208-7462
Contact: Gwen Hall - email@example.com
Contact: Kenneth Mosley - Kenneth.firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Marcia Zajac - email@example.com
Contact: Pat Hyland - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Revenue Department administers the Privilege License Tax Ordinances of the City of Mobile, which Involves collection of monthly Sales & Use Taxes and licensing businesses/professions doing business within the Mobile License Tax Jurisdiction. The Department also processes the monthly Mobile County Gross Receipts Tax.
TimeSavers - Online services, forms and applications
- Mardi Gras Vendor Information
- City of Mobile Business Application
- Policemen and Firefighters Pension and Relief Fund
- Policemen and Firefighters Pension and Relief Fund-Sample Form
- Insurance Business License
- Insurance Business License-Sample Form
- Renewal Related Insurance Information - UPDATED
- City of Mobile Alcoholic Beverage Application
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the deadline for Business Licenses?
Business licenses are required at the time a business starts operation in Mobile. Businesses operating without a business license can be issued a Municipal Offense Ticket.
- Who is required to apply for a business license?
Business licenses are required of any person, firm or entity conducting business from, into or within the City of Mobile and the Police Jurisdiction.
- When should I apply for a business license?
Application for a business license should be before the start of business. Application made after the start of business is accepted subject to zoning and other restrictions.
- Is a license required for each separate business?
A business license is required for separate businesses. In addition, a business license is also required for separate physical locations of a business.
- How do I register with the City of Mobile?
There are three ways to make application for a business license: (1) on-line application at www.cityofmobile.org; (2) in person at 205 Gvt St., 2nd Flr., South Tower; (3) and, by mail.
- How long is my license good?
Business licenses run until the 31st of December each year. The business must renew their business license for the coming year.
- Does the City provide renewal notices?
Annual Renewal Notices are mailed to all registered accounts in mid December of each year. Renewals are due January 1st and delinquent if not paid by January 31st.
- Is there a penalty for failure to renew my business license on time?
There is a 15% penalty if the license is not renewed by January 31st. There is also a 15% penalty if the license is not renewed within 30 additional days. In addition to the total of 30% penalty, all delinquent licenses carry 1-% interest per month on the unpaid balance.
- What is considered renewing my license on time?
Business license renewals must be delivered or postmarked by the postal service on or before the 31st of January. The date on the business's postage meter is not acceptable.
- What is the due date for filing if the due falls on a weekend or holiday?
If the due date falls on a non-working day of the City, postmarked or hand-delivered payment on the next business day is acceptable as timely filing. Important note: The City of Mobile may not observe all federal or state holidays. Please call for official holiday filing requirements.
- What is the due date for filing my taxes?
All taxes filed on a monthly basis are due on the first of the month and delinquent if not paid on or before the 20th of the month. All monthly taxes are based on the previous month's business.
- How do I obtain the proper tax forms for filing taxes?
All active taxpaying accounts are mailed tax forms on a quarterly basis from the City of Mobile or by downloading from the City’s website.
- What kind of taxes are administered by the City of Mobile Revenue Department?
The City of Mobile Revenue Department administers the following licenses and taxes: (1) Business License Privilege Tax [Business License] (2) Sales & Use Tax [Form # 12] (3) Sellers Use Tax [Form # 13] (4) Consumer Use Tax [Form # 14] (5) Liquor Purchases Tax [Form # 2] (6) Lease/Rental Tax [Form # 3] (7) Lodging Tax [Form # 4] (8) Gasoline & Fuel Tax [Form # 5] (9) Food & Beverage Tax [Form # 7] (10) Motor Vehicle Rental Tax [Form # 11] (11) Other Tobacco Products Tax [Form # 15]
- Mayor's Office
- City Officials
- City Council Meetings
- City Department List
- Department Phone Numbers
- City Contacts
- Municipal Courts and Legal Info
- Municipal Code
- Licenses and Taxes
- E-Mobile Tax Payments
- Bids and Procurement
- Election Information
- Department of Safety and Performance
- Nuisance Abatement
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Trash and Garbage
- Litter And Stormwater Information
- Stormwater Web Site
- Community and Arts
- Parks, Recreation, and Community Activities
- Licenses and Taxes
- Public Safety
- Mobile Animal Shelter
- Police Department
- Fire Department
- Mobile Public Library
- Historic Development
- Keep Mobile Beautiful
- Neighborhood and Community Services
- E-Mobile Tax Payments