Family of Six Transported on Suspicion of Carbon Monoxide Posioning
December, 09, 2015

December 9, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (SH2015-38)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
R. Steve Huffman
Public Information Officer
(251) 208-2857/Fax: (251) 208-2861
E-Mail: huffman@cityofmobile.org

FAMILY OF SIX TRANSPORTED ON SUSPICION OF CARBON MONOXIDE POSIONING

Mobile firefighters were dispatched at approximately 3:47 a.m. to a suspected carbon monoxide (CO) leak at a home located in the Cypress shores area.

Upon arrival firefighters found the family in a vehicle in the front of the house complaining systems similar to CO poisoning.

They told firefighters they awoke feeling funny and sick and evacuated the structure.

All six, including the mother, three daughters, a boyfriend and 1 year old male were transported to a local hospital for treatment.

Mobile Gas was called to the scene to conduct an investigation.

Engines 7, 15, Rescues 7, 28 and District Chief Frank Byrd responded to the call.

What is carbon monoxide?

It is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels, such as gasoline, wood, charcoal, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, kerosene and methane burn incompletely.

Where does carbon monoxide come from?

Heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, appliances and cooking sources using coal, wood, petroleum products, and other fuels producing carbon monoxide.

Products and equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers, and power washers produce carbon monoxide.

Operating equipment inside an attached garage increases the risk of introduction of carbon monoxide into a living space.

What are the risk factors of carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide fumes are dangerous and may be deadly. Especially at risk are:

unborn babies

infants

older adults

people who smoke

people with chronic heart disease, anemia or respiratory problems

Why should my home have carbon monoxide alarms?

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, approximately 2,100 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year in the United States.

There are more than 10,000 injuries annually from carbon monoxide.

Fuel burning home heating and cooking equipment are sources of carbon monoxide.

Car exhaust in an attached garage may leak carbon monoxide into the house even with the main garage door open.

Why is carbon monoxide harmful?

It displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen.

The molecules attach to your red blood cells more easily than oxygen molecules, depriving oxygen from getting into the body. This may damage tissues and result in death.

What are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Initial symptoms are similar to the flu but without the fever.

headache

fatigue

shortness of breath

nausea

dizziness

skin may turn bright red

Severe symptoms include:

mental confusion

vomiting

loss of muscular coordination

loss of consciousness

ultimately death

###