February 17, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (SH2014-07)
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
R. Steve Huffman
Public Information Officer
(251) 208-2857/Fax: (251) 208-2861
FEMALE INJURED AT APARTMENT FIRE
A 99-year-old female has been transported to USAMC after receiving 2nd degree burns on 10-15% of her body after a fire in her apartment at Maison Deville Apartments.
The call was received at approximately 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning February 19.
When firefighters arrived they discovered fire in the bedroom of the apartment and the occupant standing at the front door.
The fire was primarily confined to the area of the bedroom.
The occupant told fire investigators she got up to go to the bathroom in a bedside commode and afterwards lit a match to conceal the smell and at some point after that the fire occurred.
Normally the victim has a caretaker but wanted to spend the night alone so family allowed her to do so.
Family members confirmed to fire investigators she had a habit of using a match after going the bathroom.
Fire investigators believe the match may have fallen and fell on the carpet smoldering until the right conditions occurred causing the fire.
The victim used her medical alert call button and told the provider she “was on fire” who in turned notified Mobile Fire-Rescue.
The fire originated in the bedroom and is ruled accidental with approximately $8 thousand in damages.
Engines 18, 22, 23; truck 5; rescues 18, 22 and District Chief Aubrey Bishop responded.
The Bureau of Fire Prevention conducted the investigation.