Candle Causes Fire on Noble Drive
October, 11, 2017

October 11, 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (SH2017-22)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
R. Steve Huffman
Public Information Officer
(251) 208-7163/Cell: (251) 605-0984
E-Mail: huffman@cityofmobile.org

CANDLE CAUSES FIRE ON NOBLE DRIVE

Mobile firefighters responded to a reported house fire overnight, Tuesday, October 10, on Noble Drive.

The fire was dispatched at approximately 10:43 p.m. for a report of a fire in a back bedroom. Firefighters arrived on scene reporting fire at the rear of the single story, wood frame structure and were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

All occupants escaped without apparent injuries.

The fire appears to have originated in a back bedroom on a couch. The occupants told investigators that they had no power and were using a candle which tipped over from the top of the couch onto a cushion. They woke up to flames on the couch at the end of the bed and made their escape from the structure.

The fire caused an estimated $25 thousand dollars.

TIPS: Never leave lit candles unattended, keep them away from other combustibles that could start a fire, Keep candles in a sturdy holder and on flat surfaces to prevent tipping.

Engines 7, 19, 28; Truck 24; rescue 28 and District Chief John Young responded to the call.

The Bureau of Fire Prevention is conducting the investigation.

###