A Message from Mayor Stimpson - July 20
Jul 20th, 2020
It is 9 p.m. on Monday, July 20 and I am writing to give you an update from the City of Mobile.
Today, the Mobile County Health Department released an "expanded report" of data for the week ending July 19. Here are some key takeaways from the report:
- Mobile County recorded a total count of 6,019 laboratory confirmed COVID positive patients, an increase of 1,112 patients from the prior week total of 4,907, a growth rate of 23 percent.
- Mobile County recorded a total of 840 discharged patients, which represents about 86 percent of those hospitalized
- Mobile County has recorded a total count of 166 deceased, representing about 2.6 percent of total confirmed cases
- Mobile County hospitals averaged 170 COVID positive patients per day, an increase of 41 from the prior week average of 129, a growth rate of 32 percent.
- Area hospitals average a total of 40 COVID ICU patients, an increase of 6 patients from the prior week average of 34. ICU bed availability averaged 11 percent.
This morning I joined city and county officials for a preview of Flight Works Alabama, a new aerospace exhibition and education center near the Airbus final assembly line at Brookley Field.
This innovative new facility will be a great resource for students and grownups to learn more about the aerospace industry, and hopefully spark the imagination of a new generation of aircraft engineers, assembly workers and pilots.
To learn more, visit the Flight Works Alabama website by clicking here.
Tomorrow is the City Council meeting which always makes for a busy day.
Please remember these simple steps will keep us safe:
- Wear a mask when in public
- Keep your hands clean
- Keep a safe distance from others
- Stay home if you are sick