A Message from Mayor Stimpson - July 21
Jul 21st, 2020
It is 9 p.m. on Tuesday, July 21 and I am writing to give you an update from the City of Mobile.
As of tonight, there have been 6,340 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Mobile County, an increase of 129 since Monday. A total of 167 have died due to COVID-19, while 2,814 are presumed recovered. There have been no deaths in the past two days.
Click here to read a detailed report from the Mobile County Health Department.
Looking around the state, the Alabama Department of Public Health reported 69,075 COVID cases today, up 1,364 from yesterday. The state's death toll from the virus is 1,258, up 11 from Monday. There were 1,563 people hospitalized in the state due to COVID.
Remember these simple steps to keep you safe:
- Wear a mask when in public
- Keep your hands clean
- Keep a safe distance from others
- Stay home if you are sick
I'd like to share a few stories of note tonight:
- Karen Parker, a nurse at Mobile Infirmary, spent 83 days in the hospital after being diagnosed with COVID-19. "Fear did not stand a chance in God's presence," she said. Click here to watch a video of her inspirational story.
- A new study by a leading travel research firm shows that 60 percent of American tourists prefer destinations that require face masks, with a third of those saying they will only visit cities that have mask orders. Click here for more details.
- Chresal Threadgill, Superintendent of the Mobile County Public School System, shared more details about his plans to begin the 2020-21 school year. Click here to read his letter to parents.
- ALDI, a fast-growing grocery chain, announced plans today to build a regional headquarters and distribution center in Baldwin County. The project will be a boost to our regional economy and contribute to job growth on both sides of Mobile Bay. Click here to read more.
Good things are happening amidst the COVID crisis. As it says in Psalms: Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord! Through praise, we can move mountains. When trouble comes,count your blessings and remember all you have to be thankful for.