A Message from Mayor Stimpson - July 30
Jul 30th, 2020
It is 9 p.m. on Thursday, July 30 and I am writing to give you an update from the City of Mobile.
As of tonight, there have been 7,963 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Mobile County, an increase of 210 cases. According to the Mobile County Health Department, a total of 190 patients have died due to COVID-19. For a detailed look at today's data click here.
We can all do our part. Together we can prevent an increase in COVID-19 cases by following these simple steps to stay safe:
- Wear a mask when in public
- Keep your hands clean
- Avoid crowds and keep a safe distance from others
- Stay home if you are sick
The City of Mobile's momentum continues. Here are a few updates:
- Today, I received an update on the Mobile Airport Authority's (MAA) master plan for the redevelopment of Brookley Field. The expansion of our downtown airport is a game changer for our community. MAA will hold a public meeting to review the master plan. The virtual meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 4 beginning at 6 p.m. I encourage you to participate. Registration is required through this link.
- The Broad Street Project, part of the TIGER Grant is 22% complete and remains on schedule. Pardon our progress as the intersection of Spring Hill Avenue and Broad Street is now closed until November. Closure is due to the re-building of this intersection and the underground utilities. In addition, the construction of a new roundabout located at the intersection of Broad Street and Canal Street has been awarded and construction is expected to begin in August. This transformative project will make this intersection safer, more efficient and more attractive. You can learn more about our TIGER Grant progress at https://www.cityofmobile.org/reconnectingmobile/tiger-grant/
- Don't forget about the 2020 Census. It is so important to make sure every child and adult are counted. As a community, only 60% have participated. We can do better than that. Let's make it count Mobile. To complete to 2020 Census click here.
In a time of uncertainty, I can always look around and appreciate the great work that is happening in our City. Thank you for your continued prayers and for continuously going above and beyond. I am certain that if we continue to work together we will win.