COVID-19 and How to Best Prepare
Apr 12th, 2020
Office of the Mayor
COVID-19 and How to Prepare
The CDC has provided tips regarding how best to protect ourselves in the midst of the COVID-19 outbreak.
To protect yourself and your family considering the following:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces with any disposable wipes.
- If you have recently returned from a country with ongoing COVID-19 (coronavirus) infections, monitor your health and follow the instructions of public health officials.
If you have a fever or cough, stay home. If you are sick and must go out, you can use a face mask to prevent spreading germs to others. Face masks are NOT a substitute for washing your hands.
To prepare to the possible disruption caused by an outbreak you can do the following:
- Make sure you have a supply of all essential medications for your family.
- Make a child-care plan if you or a care giver are sick.
- Get your flu shot.
- Make arrangements about how your family with manage a school closure.
- Make a plan for how you can care for a sick family member without getting yourself sick.
- Get up to date information at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html
The City of Mobile will continue to report up to date CDC recommendations as they are made available.