Skip to main content


Montlimar Apartments Fire Determined Accidental

Feb 27th, 2024

Investigator Looks Over Aftermath of Montlimar Apartments Fire

Mobile Fire-Rescue Department investigators have determined the Montlimar Apartments fire was ignited by accident. Witness statements, fire patterns and physical evidence at the scene indicated it was caused by a person or people cooking on their balcony.

Mobile Fire-Rescue Department units responded at about 6:48 p.m. Saturday, February 24, 2024, after dispatch received several calls for a report of a fire at Montlimar Apartments at 1417 Azalea Road in Mobile, Alabama. While en route to the fire, Engine 16 called for a second alarm based on the large flames that were visible from a distance prior to arrival.

As fire spread in the building, and units battled the flames and ensured all residents were evacuated, Rescue 23 assisted with evacuating a resident who was still inside and had not exited the building. As flames spread into the attic, a third alarm was called at about 7:22 p.m. The fire was brought under control by 8 p.m. Firefighters then began an extensive process of extinguishing hotspots.

The two-story, brick veneer building, which was one of 16 large buildings at the complex, contained 16 residential units inside. Fifteen of the 16 units had tenants. The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire. Several apartments within the building received major fire and water damage. All were affected by smoke.

Districts 2 and 3, along with Engines 3, 6, 7, 9, 16, 19 and 23 and Trucks 5, 10 and 24, and Rescue 6 and 23, along with other personnel responded to the scene. There were no reports of injuries.

At about 10:39 p.m., incident command shut down the operation except for one unit that remained on fire watch at the scene through the night.