Skip to main content
Back to City of Mobile Homepage

Traffic Frequently Asked Questions

The City of Mobile often receives requests to install all-way stops at intersections as a way to reduce speeding.  Stop signs, however, are installed to regulate traffic flow.  The main purpose of a stop sign is to provide right-of-way control at intersections and to reduce certain type of accidents.  In fact, as recommended by the MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices), stop signs should not be used for speed control.  Nationwide studies have shown that the placement of stop signs have no significant impact on speeding.  Drivers tend to make up lost time by increasing speeds after stopping at an unwarranted stop sign.   The City recommends calling 311 for enforcement and considering applying for traffic calming devices.

Call 311 to begin a process of having your neighborhood evaluated for the installation of traffic calming devices.  A form will be sent to you to fill out to provide detailed information about the issues you are experiencing with speeding in your neighborhood.

The City of Mobile has adopted the MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) for standard practices for the installation of traffic control devices.  The “Children at Play” sign is not a sign recognized or recommended by the MUTCD and as such is not installed by the City Traffic Engineering Department.

Any requests for signs can be made through 311.

Please call 311 and report any issues with roadway striping.

Installations of all-way stops or traffic signals require and engineering study.  The MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) outlines warrants for both all-way stops and traffic signal installation.  The City will perform traffic counts, pedestrian studies, and gather crash data to compare the information to the warrants as outlined in the MUTCD.  This process can take a considerable amount of time to properly evaluate the data.  Once the data is analyzed, a decision will be made to install and in cases of a traffic signal, funding will be sought.

The Traffic Engineering Department has a policy regarding minimum lighting in neighborhoods.  If a citizen requests a light or lights for a residential street, an assessment of the existing lighting will made.  If installation is warranted based on the minimum standards, the department will contact Alabama Power to install a streetlight on an Alabama Power pole.   

Major streets and neighborhoods without power poles will considered on a case-by-case basis. Start the process with a call to 311.

Is the light located on an Alabama Power pole such as shown below?
Report it to Alabama Power at

If it is a City of Mobile maintained streetlight such as shown, it can be reported to 311 for repair.