Mobile Government

Animal Shelter

855 Owens St.
Mobile, AL 36604

View Web Site

Fax: 251-208-2802

Main: 251-208-2800

Main Contact: 251-208-2800

Contact: Ellen Lursen -

The mission of the City of Mobile Animal Animal Shelter is to balance the health, safety and welfare needs of the people and animals in our City. Through our mission we will educate the public about responsible companion animal ownership, aggressively investigate animal cruelty cases, provide compassion and humane care for unwanted, stray, abused and abandoned animals in our City, administer dog licenses, give adoptable animals a second chance at a forever home, and humanely euthanize animals when necessary and appropriate.

The Animal Shelter provides pick up service for stray or injured animals. This service also applies to any unowned biting animal. (If a biting animal has an owner, said animal must be impounded, at owner expense, for 10 days at licensed veterinarian for observation.)

All dogs within the City limits of Mobile over three months old are required to be licensed. A license may be purchased during normal office hours, including 9:00 - 3:30 on Saturday. Proof of current rabies inoculation is required for all license purchases. The following fees apply to the license:

Unspayed/Unneutered dogs $15.00
Spayed/Neutered dogs $3.00

Senior Citizens (65 or older)
Unspayed/Unneutered dogs $3.00
Spayed/Neutered dogs $1.50

Proof of age is required. Licensing is now due on the citizens anniversary month. For instance, if you purchase/renew your license in April, your license needs to be renewed the following April. $10 late fee applies for late renewal.

The Animal Shelter provides an adoption service for all unclaimed animals. A minimal fee is charged:
Puppies (under 3 months) $20.00
Dogs - not spayed/neutered (over 3 months):
Adopted in city limits $43.00
Adopted outside city limits $28.00
Dogs - spayed/neutered (over 3 months):
Adopted in city limits $61.00
Adopted outside city limits $58.00
Kittens (under 3 months) $20.00
Cats - spayed/neutered (over 3 months) $28.00
Cats - not spayed/neutered (over 3 months) $53.00

This fee includes the Rabies Inoculation and the City Dog License, if it applies.

Free Adoptions only excludes the price for the adoption fee. Adopter may have to purchase a Rabies Certificate ($8.00 if applicable) and City License (if applicable) if they reside inside the City Limits of Mobile, Alabama.

Alabama State Law requires that all dogs, cats, and ferrets at least 3 months of age to have a current Rabies Vaccine.

All dogs within the city limits of Mobile over 3 months of age are required to be licensed. A license may be purchased during normal business hours, including 9:00 am. Until 3:30 pm. on Saturdays. Proof of current rabies inoculation is required before a city license can be issued.

The Animal Shelter is open for adoptions from 9am-11am, then 12pm-4:30pm, Monday through Friday, and from 9:00 - 3:30 Saturday.

The Animal Shelter may be contacted after hours or on a Sunday or Holiday by calling the Action Center at 208-5311. Ask for the Animal Control standby person. They will respond to any biting dog or cat incident, any injured dog or cat or vicious animal call.

The Animal Shelter picks up sick or injured raccoons.

The Animal Shelter patrols for dogs running loose. A dog must be on public property for an Animal Shelter Officer to pick up dog. For a dog to be picked up off private property, a release form must be signed by responsible party, authorizing Animal Control to confiscate animal. Municipal Offense Tickets are issued by Animal Control Officers for dog running loose, lack of city dog license, rabies shot requirement, and cruelty to animals, keeping wild or dangerous animals, unsanitary conditions or interfering with an officer. MOT fines are $238 per offense. Secondary offenses you must appear in court before a judge.

Cat traps are available for temporary use from the Animal Shelter. A $50 deposit is held until return of the cat trap. Cats may be transported in trap to the Animal Shelter and our staff will remove the cat for you.


Mobile Animal Shelter 208-2800
Mobile Country Animal Control Dispatch 694-3227
Kennel 574-3647
Baldwin County Shelter 972-6834
Saraland Shelter 679-5570
Prichard Shelter 452-7843

Maddies's Pet Rescue Project - Community Statistics


Maddie's Pet Rescue Project Report - City of Mobile
Maddie's Pet Rescue Project Report - Mobile Community
Maddie's Pet Rescue Project in Mobile County - Friends of the Animal Shelter


Maddie's Pet Rescue
Project Report - Mobile Community

Maddie's Pet Rescue Project in Mobile County - Friends of the Animal Shelter
Maddie's Pet Rescue Project in Mobile County - Animal Controle

The collection and publication of this data is sponsored by Maddie's Fund®,

TimeSavers - Online services, forms and applications

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many animals can one home owner have?
    There is not a limit on how many pets one household can have, however all animals in the city limits of Mobile must be vaccinated against rabies. In addition all dogs over 3 months must have a city license which is obtained at the Animal Shelter with a proof of rabies receipt from your veterinarian (this is not the same as the rabies tag).

  • Is the rabies shot considered a license?
    No, rabies shots are administered by a licensed veterinarian and are required by law by The State of Alabama for dogs and cats. The City license is required by the City of Mobile for any dog over the age of 3 months that reside within the City limits.

  • I know my dog is required to be vaccinated for rabies, but what about my cat? She never goes outside. Does she really need a rabies vaccine?
    According to Alabama state law, all dogs and cats over the age of 3 months MUST be vaccinated against rabies. This is done as a precautionary measure for human safety. The rabies virus is a fatal disease. Even indoor cats can be exposed to rabies if a bat or small rodent invades your home and is killed by "Fluffy". It's better to be safe and keep your pets healthy. Remember that all pet ferrets must be vaccinated as well.

  • How do I get my dog licensed each year, as required by law?
    Simply bring a copy of your dog's current rabies certificate to the City of Mobile Animal Shelter located at 855 Owens Street.. The cost is usually very low, but will be more expensive if your dog is not spayed or neutered. Most cities and towns do charge more to license an unsterilized dog. Unsterilized dogs are more likely to roam, bite people, fight with other animals, reproduce, etc. All of these factors increase the cost of animal control programs.

  • What can be done about my neighbor feeding stray cats in our neighborhood?
    When you feed an animal that is stray or without a home you are claiming ownership to that animal. With that said you must obtain a rabies vaccination for ALL animals that you own. If it is a stray dog you must obtain a rabies vaccination and a City license. Animal Control can go to the residence and speak to the home owner and advise them of the ordinances that are in place.