Skip to main content

Environmental Services

P.O. Box 1827

Mobile,AL 36633-1827

Contact 251-208-7151

View Website

The City of Mobile is committed to improving stormwater quality through public education, cleanup events, and through our municipal operations.

Africatown - EPA Brownfields Meeting Presentation

The City of Mobile has recently updated the Storm Water Management Program Plan (SWMPP) for FY2022. This DRAFT SWMPP is open for Public comment and input. The DRAFT SWMPP can be found at  Should you have any questions, comments or concerns please submit these to

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where is the closest recycling center to me?

We have two recycling centers in the City: Pinehill Recycle Center (2460 Government Street, directly behind police headquarters) and the WAC Recycle Center (4851 Museum Drive, directly in front of Police 2nd Precinct).

Q: Where can I recycle electronics?

There are several options that can provide this service to citizens: Best Buy, Office Depot, and United Cerebral Palsy.  Please contact these businesses to see which option will be best for the material you want to recycle.

Q: Where can I get rid of my old TV?

Typically Best Buy is the recommended option, however, United Cerebral Palsy also takes flat screen TVs.

Q: Why did I get a letter from the City regarding a storm water violation (such as leaves being blown into the storm drain)?

These letters are typically Notices of Violations (NOVs) and serve as a written warning regarding an observed illicit discharge which is a violation of the storm water ordinance.  When a citizen contacts us, we will be happy to discuss the nature of the violation and how to best remedy the issue.

Q: When is the next hazardous event at the Fairgrounds?/When is the County having an event to get rid of unwanted household items?

Currently, this strictly depends on availability of grant money provided to Mobile County. 

Q: How/where can I get rid of mercury?

Call Complete Environmental and Remediation, in Theodore, 251-653-8755.

Q: Where can I take hazardous materials?

Call Complete Environmental and Remediation, in Theodore, 251-653-8755.  If the amount of hazardous materials is small in quantity, we will also guide the citizen to review the product label which will often have safe disposal methods listed. 

Q: Where can I recycle old paint?

If the paint can(s) is unopened a citizen can donate the paint can(s) to Goodwill or a local church.  If the paint can(s) is opened/partially used, the citizen can air dry the paint or add sand/kitty litter to the paint to turn substance from a liquid to a solid. Paint in a solid form is safe for solid waste disposal. They can also use the remaining paint on a stump or scrap wood. 

Q: What is the storm water fee on my property tax bill?

Please see the attached summary for information regarding Stormwater Fees.