Skip to main content

Revenue FAQs

Q: Who Is Required To Apply For A Business License?

(Code section 34-43) Business licenses are required of any person, firm or entity conducting business from, into or within the City of Mobile and the Police Jurisdiction.

Q: Where Do I Register With The City of Mobile?

There are three ways to submit an application for a business license: (1) via the online application by clicking here (2) in person at the Revenue Department Business Office, 205 Government Street, 2nd Floor South Tower (3) by mail.

Q: What About Monthly Taxes?

Taxes are due the 20 th day of the month. Taxes are due the first month (or any part of the month) of operation and every month there after for as long as the business is in operation.

Q: How do I pay taxes?

Effective July 1, 2015, all tax returns must be filed electronically and all payments in excess of $750 must be paid electronically through the MAT system at ( or Mobile’s CSS system at (

Q: Does the City provide renewal notices?

Annual Renewal Notices are mailed to all registered accounts in mid December of each year. Renewals are due January 1st and delinquent if not paid by January 31st.

Q: How do I obtain the proper tax forms for filing taxes?

All active taxpaying accounts are mailed tax forms on a quarterly basis from the City of Mobile.

Q: What kind of taxes are administered by the City of Mobile Revenue Department?

The City of Mobile Revenue Department administers the following licenses and taxes:

(1) Business License Privilege Tax [Business License]
(2) Sales & Use Tax [Form # 12]
(3) Sellers Use Tax [Form # 13]
(4) Consumer Use Tax [Form # 14]
(5) Liquor Purchases Tax [Form # 2]
(6) Lease/Rental Tax [Form # 3]
(7) Lodging Tax [Form # 4]
(8) Gasoline & Fuel Tax [Form # 5]
(9) Food & Beverage Tax [Form # 7]
(10) Motor Vehicle Rental Tax [Form # 11]
(11) Other Tobacco Products Tax [Form # 15]

Q: What Does A Business License Cost?

(Code section 34-44) Generally, unless specified in the schedule, the minimum license fee is $120 plus $10 issue fee and $8 zoning fee.

Q: When Should I Apply For A Business License?

(Code section 34-50) It is unlawful to do business without a license. Application for a business license should be before the start of business. Application made after the start of business is accepted yet subject to zoning and other restrictions.

Q: When is the deadline for Business Licenses?

Business licenses are required at the time a business starts operation in Mobile. Businesses operating without a business license can be issued a Municipal Offense Ticket.

Q: Are There Any Other Requirements?

Yes read further to see additional Notes.

Note: Certain businesses dealing with food and beverages will be required to obtain a Health Department Inspection Certificate. The health department’s address is:

Mobile County Health Department
251 North Bayou Street
P O Box 2867
Mobile, AL 36652

Note: Certain other businesses may be required to obtain clearance with the City of Mobile Police Department. The police department’s address is:

City of Mobile Police Department
2460 Government Street
Mobile, AL 36606

Note: Mobile County also has requirements for doing business within the county. The county’s address is:

Mobile County License Commissioner
3925 Michael Boulevard – Suite F
Mobile, AL 36609
P O Drawer 161009
Mobile, AL 36616

Other items needed

  • Picture Identification (Driver’s License, Non-driver License, Visa, Passport, etc.)
  • Copy of Articles Of Incorporation (all types of corporations).
  • Federal ID Number and/or State Tax Number

Other special requirements

  • Alabama Regulatory License (for automotive dealer)
  • Fire Inspection Approval (for restaurants, motels, hotels or other rental of rooms)
  • Pawnbrokers Bond (for all pawnbrokers)
  • Federal Firearms Certificate (when selling firearms)
  • State ABC Board License (accounts selling alcoholic beverages)
  • Environmental Department Environmental Clearance

Q: Is a license required for each separate business?

A business license is required for separate businesses. In addition, a business license is also required for separate physical locations of a business.

Q: How do I register with the City of Mobile?

There are three ways to make application for a business license: (1) on-line application at; (2) in person at 205 Gvt St., 2nd Flr., South Tower; (3) and, by mail.

Q: How long is my license good?

Business licenses run until the 31st of December each year. The business must renew their business license for the coming year.

Q: Is there a penalty for failure to renew my business license on time?

There is a 15% penalty if the license is not renewed by January 31st. There is also a 15% penalty if the license is not renewed within 30 additional days. In addition to the total of 30% penalty, all delinquent licenses carry 1-% interest per month on the unpaid balance.

Q: What is considered renewing my license on time?

Business license renewals must be delivered or postmarked by the postal service on or before the 31st of January. The date on the business's postage meter is not acceptable.

Q: What is the due date for filing if the due falls on a weekend or holiday?

If the due date falls on a non-working day of the City, postmarked or hand-delivered payment on the next business day is acceptable as timely filing. Important note: The City of Mobile may not observe all federal or state holidays. Please call for official holiday filing requirements.

Q: What is the due date for filing my taxes?

All taxes filed on a monthly basis are due on the first of the month and delinquent if not paid on or before the 20th of the month. All monthly taxes are based on the previous month's business.

In This Section

Revenue Department
205 Gov't St., S. Tower Rm. 243
PO Box 3065
Mobile, AL 36652-3065
Office: 251-208-7462
Fax: 251-208-7954

Revenue Office Government Plaza (2nd Floor) Window Hours:

8:00 to 3:00 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays and 8:00 to 1:00 Wednesdays.  


**Our window hours will be extended for the Mardi Gras season

Starting 2/3 - 2/21/2023, hours will be Mon. - Fri. 8:00 to 4:30 p.m.